Tuesday 27 May 2008

Intro To Naijaleta

It’s difficult knowing what to start a new blog with. Usually, very few people get to read your first post. Anyway, as a proper Naija person, make I troway salute for una.
I’m writing from London at the moment but as I have stated in the heading, this blog will comment on issues related to our obodo Nigeria.

I met an Oyinbo man once who used to live in Nigeria and this was what he said, “you’ve got to have a bloody good sense of humour to enjoy living in that country.” Na Oyinbo man tok so. At first I thought he was making fun of the country but shortly afterwards, Newsweek magazine wrote an article saying Nigerians were the happiest people on earth! Oyinbo man was right, Nigerians generally have a good sense of humour and that’s why we have been considered the happiest people on earth. That’s why I have decided to add my own collection to the humour.

Over here for Jand, most people are in a hurry and they are almost always looking disgruntled. Not to talk of the cold. When dat col’ waya una finish, Walahi! Una go begin cry say, “na wetin I dey find come dis Jand?”
Anyway, message to those of you still aspiring to come here and settle. Abeg come for holiday first make una see the kin laif wey Naija people dey liv here. No be se I dey discourage una O! For where? Sebi na una wan sabi wetin kill Papa Johnson.

I’m sure you have heard of the credit crunch. No be the crunchie shokolet wey Cadbury dey sell O! Getting loans and credit was relatively easy in this country as long as you had a bank account and a lot of Naija boys collect loans and the banks no even see dem break-light again. Bifor, bifor if una tell Oyinbo say una wan collect loan to go holiday im go approve the loan and wish you safe journey. But now, to collect ordinary loan, dem go tell una make una go bring ya mama blood sample. Walahi!

The point I’m trying to make is that the world economic trend is shifting. Most European companies are diversifying investments to Africa especially the Nigerian Financial sector. The investment ship has set sail and its heading towards Africa. Don’t be missing from where the action is when the ship anchors. So many of us here are planning on coming home in the next couple of years.

You’ll be hearing a lot more from me. I intend to write a post everyday of the week except Saturdays and Sundays. Una no hear as Olu-Maintain sing for im song, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, boys dey hustle; Friday, Saturday, Sunday, gbogbo aiye.

Make I liv una wit the song sef. Enjoy, till I see you again.

3 comments:

O'Dee said...

Welcome 2 blogsville ABC.

Mon - Fri, u must av a lot 2 say.
ASPA peeps who blog in pidgin, try waffarian of is it waffi boy.

Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Welcome to Blogville!

isha said...

What happened to Monday - Friday? Just kidding. you write well.